If you are the proud owner of the Xiaomi Redmi Note, then you know it has already received the latest update of the Android operating system. If you want to upgrade the firmware of this phone, then you have come to the right place. We detail the steps on how to install Ubuntu Touch ROM on this device for a better user experience. The firmware does has automatic updates which have no bugs. It is from a reputable member on the XDA but care should be taken since neither the author of the software nor Xiaomi will take responsibility for any issues you run into.
Be aware that, after upgrading the software, you run the risk of bricking the device. Also, tampering with the ROM of your phone will void its warranty. But as any Technology SAGE out there, you can always flash a custom ROM on your device if it is bricked and get it back to working conditions.
Install Ubuntu Touch ROM on Xiaomi Redmi Note
The steps have been divided into two main stages namely the pre-upgradation stage, and the final upgradation stage.
- The first stage should be confirming your device is actually the Redmi Note 4G. Go to Settings then About Phone.
- Make sure the bootloader is unlocked as this process can only be done on such devices.
- Back up the existing ROM using an app of your choice. You can use Nandroid Backup and Restore App.
- Also, back up any other services and data on your phone through a cloud storage medium or computer.
- Make sure your device is also charged given that this process relies entirely on the battery of the device.
- Disable or uninstall any antivirus software on the device. The Kies software should also be uninstalled.
- Turn on USB debugging on your device by going to Settings, Applications, Development, USB debugging.
- These steps are what you need to set up your device for an upgrade to the Ubuntu Touch ROM. Let’s head over to the next step.
Final Upgradation Stage
- Download the custom ROM for your device unto your computer.
- Using the USB cable of your device, transfer the zipped folder to the SD card of your phone.
- Disconnect the device from the computer and turn it off.
- Press the Volume Up and the Home button at the same time. Keep holding them and turn on the device with the power key.
- These steps are meant to put your device into recovery mode to perform the needed steps.
- With your device in recovery mode, go to Wipe data or factory reset then choose the Wipe cache partition.
- In the following prompt, choose install zip from SD card then choose zip from internal SD card. Choose the location you stored the zip file and start the upgrading process.
- For the Google apps that come with the download, use the same procedure to then restart when the upgrade process is complete.
This is the way to install Ubuntu Touch ROM on the Xiaomi Redmi Note. The most important thing to note is that this procedure should only used on the Xiaomi Redmi Note. Any other device will not work and may even break.