Are you someone who enjoys fiddling his or her way around the computer? Do you like coding in your free time? Do you like to know what makes a computer and the internet tick? If the answer to all these questions is yes, then you might want to pay a closer look at the career prospects of a web developer. In fact, there are quite a number of research paper on career choice that you might also want to take a look at before you can decide if coding really is your passion that you want to turn into a full-time career.
So, we have compiled a list of six questions and the answers to that, that you might want to ask an expert in the field of coding.
- We will begin with the most important question of all. How much do web developers make? Obviously, if you are looking to make a career out of something, you need to be aware of whether the choice will be a suitable one in the future in terms of your finances and while there is no fixed answer to the question when it comes to salary, the average salary for a freelance web developer can range anywhere between $51,000 to $76,000 per year. It all depends on the level of the expertise of the web developer.
- The next question usually turns out to be “What are the essential skills required to become a web developer?” The answer might not exactly be what you are expecting. According to certain researches conducted amongst web developers, some of the qualities that were brought up apart from the academic courses were the ability to reuse- because a coder refuses to do the same thing twice and builds code for the same. The second skill is ability to innovate- because a web developer is always eager to develop newer codes and algorithms on a daily basis.
- Is there really a shortage for web developers? We must have often heard people in IT complaining about how there are not a lot of good web developers to create and experiment with newer codes. However, this question has two parts to it. It is true that web developers are plenty in the industry. However, what is truly lacking is the presence of good web developers who can take the risk of developing newer algorithms to develop the industry as a whole. And that is the bit that is important because the internet and the world wide web is ever expanding and is in need of good people.
- Are too many people qualifying to become web developers these days? Another really valid question to ask before you enter a new industry. You need to asses the competition. If the competition is extremely high and the demand is less, there might be a chance that you will get stuck in your career and would not be able to expand further. However, that is the advantage of the coding industry. While it is true that a lot of people are becoming an expert in coding, the demand for good web developers and coders are only increasing, and this is not going to stop anytime soon. So, the industry has the potential for you to grow in your career.
- The next question that a lot of people ask is “What are the current trends in the field of web development?” Of course, if you are to enter a certain industry, you should be aware of the trends that are present in the present as they might affect you in the future.
As per some of the famous web developers in the world, the biggest trend in the field of web development these days are bots and artificial intelligence that are on the rise. Some of the giants in the business of technology like Google and Facebook are already using artificial intelligence in their operations. And it will not be very long before other companies follow their lead and start developing their own algorithm for artificial intelligence.
- Finally comes the most important question of all if you are looking to seriously pursue a career in the field of web development and coding. The question is “What are the pros and cons of being a professional web developer in the long run?” According to the web developers working in the industry, the pros would be good pay and an array of job opportunities to choose from. Most developers also say that the job is incredibly satisfying and it also helps the community as a whole.
Plus, for people who do not enjoy socializing, the fact that this is a job that can be done from inside the safety of your house is a huge bonus. However, there are a few cons as well. They include being unable to strike a healthy balance between work and personal life. Continuously working in front of a computer might also cause some health problems including leading to a stressful and unhealthy lifestyle, if not kept in check.
Hopefully, these answers should satisfy your curiosity. If you want to explore more about the line of web developing, you can always check out thesisgeek.com and get in touch with few of the brilliant researchers. After all, there is no end to knowing about an industry before you decide to set foot into it and reading is the solution to your problems for sure.